Email marketing can be extremely profitable for your business. If you use it right, that is. Email marketing is the process of acquiring email addresses and sending emails to these subscribers to promote your products, content or services. To help you get started with email marketing we have created a beginners guide to email marketing. In this guide, we cover everything from what email marketing is and why you should be using it all the way to how to create an effective campaign and grow your list of subscribers.
What is email marketing?
Email marketing is the process of sending emails to people who’ve opted in to receiving them from you. If you’re new to email marketing, it can seem like a daunting task. But taking the time to learn how email marketing works will help you create a successful strategy that brings in more customers and builds relationships with leads.
Why should you use email marketing?
Email marketing is the most effective way to reach your target audience. Email is the most personal and direct way to communicate with your customers, so it’s a powerful way to build trust. A personalized email can be sent out quickly, which means you can adjust what you send based on what works for you and your customers.
Email marketing allows marketers to build relationships with their customers by sending them relevant information that helps solve their problems or answer questions they have about the company’s products or services. And when done correctly (which we’ll go into more detail below), this increases brand loyalty because people feel like they’re being treated like human beings instead of numbers.
How often should you send promotional emails?
In short, the more relevant your content is to your target audience, the more likely they are to respond. If you’re sending out emails on a daily basis with nothing that’s relevant to them, they’ll likely ignore it. However, if you send them weekly with something they care about and use (e.g., product updates), then they have a higher likelihood of engaging with and responding to your email.
There are two main reasons for this:
- First, people want to hear from companies with whom they do business and whose products or services they use often; however, an email inbox can get cluttered quickly so these messages may not be seen as frequently unless there is something new being offered or discussed in the message that relates directly back into why customers signed up for newsletters originally (i.e., free delivery promotions).
- Second -and probably most importantly -there’s a difference between annoying someone through repeated messages versus providing value in those same communications over time through helpful content like tips & tricks videos; downloadable guides/checklists; etcetera.”
Read our latest blog on the subject of email frequency >>> “How much is too much email marketing”
The importance of the email’s subject line!
When it comes to creating an effective email campaign, it’s all about the subject line. The subject line is your first impression, and if it isn’t enticing enough for the reader to open up their inbox and read more, then you’ve lost them forever.
When coming up with a good subject line, we’ve developed 9 kickstart strategies, which can help capture the interest of a recipient and optimise the performance of your subject lines.
Also, do not under estimate the benefit of testing, testing and testing again! Through testing you will establish what work, and just as importantly, what doesn’t work!
Here are some tips when it comes to email marketing subject line testing>>
Change a word or two
FREE gifts worth £199.99 versus COMPLIMENTARY gifts worth £199.99
Rearrange the sentence
Kit out your kitchen for less | SAVE £100 versus SAVE £100 and kit out your kitchen for less
Alter the length
Have you seen our Summer Price Drop? Huge reductions! versus Summer Price Drop | Big savings
Highlight the keyword
NEW IN Summer | Voucher code ends today versus NEW summer products >>voucher code expires midnight<<
What are the top tips for creating a successful email campaign?
If you follow 5 tips when it comes to your email marketing then you’ll do ok 🙂
• Use a catchy subject line – don’t forget to read ‘Copywriting for email’.
• Use a compelling call to action – we cover this too in ‘Copywriting for email’.
• Personalise your subject line and email content as much as possible, but don’t overdo it!
• Make sure your email is responsive and looks good on mobile devices. This will help you reach more people and make them more likely to engage with your campaign in the first place!
• A clear call to action makes it easy for recipients to take the next step without having to think too hard about what they should do after reading their emails (i.e., click through). This can be anything from clicking on an image or link provided within an email itself, or visiting another website where additional information has been posted online somewhere else entirely – whatever works best within context of each campaign should be used accordingly here (and remember: always ask!). It won’t work if there isn’t one because then people won’t know how they’re supposed this kind
Email marketing is a profitable way to grow your business
Email marketing is a great way to communicate with customers, build relationships with your audience and get feedback from your customers.
According to McKinsey & Company email marketing is up to 40 times more effective than social media, so if email marketing isn’t currently part of your marketing mix then our advice is to change that!
So there you have it, the most important things that you need to know about email marketing and how to get started with it. We hope you’re feeling a little more confident about starting your own email marketing campaign for your business now. If so, just remember: don’t be afraid of making mistakes – as long as you test everything then even if something doesn’t work out quite right, you’ll learn something from it and be able to try again next time!